A new year has come and with it the challenge and responsibility of preventing cavities all year long. Although it may seem like a daunting task, cavities can be beaten with the proper preventative measures. Cavities form from plaque eating away at our tooth enamel, so we must do everything we can to protect our enamel from forces that seek to destroy it.
The time is now to save your oral health. Here are some simple guidelines to help prevent cavities:
– Floss once daily with ADA-approved dental floss or dentist recommended flossing tools.
– Avoid sticky candies, chewy snacks, or other foodstuffs that are difficult to wash away or remove from your teeth and gums.
– Brush your teeth twice daily with toothpaste that is ADA-approved or dentist recommended.
– Make sure you practice proper etiquette with your brushing tactics including how you brush and how you care for your toothbrush.
– Mouthwash is good for rinsing away bad bacteria and food particles.
– Visit your dentist at Dr. Brian Scaff regularly for professional cleanings or oral exams.
– After meals, chewing sugarless gum for at least 20 minutes has been shown to fight cavities.
As long as you take the necessary steps to protect yourself, cavities can be prevented. If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. Brian Scaff, please call our office at 512-792-2688. We are located in Austin, Texas. We look forward to making your oral health care for the new year the brightest one yet.